Races are both an exciting and jitter-inducing event. They can oftentimes cause what we like to lovingly call “brain farts” that can leave you hanging on your 26.2 miles without headphones or a hydration pack 🤦. So we created a race day checklist that provides you with all the items to consider before taking off for your race.
Items to do the night before a race
- Pull out the race day outfit and put it in the bathroom for quick changing in the morning. This may include the following:
- running top
- running bottoms
- GPS watch
- socks & shoes
- sport’s bra
- Pack the hydration bag/backpack:
- Pack your “dump bag (the bag you leave at the start line)” with any items you might need at the start of the race:
- water bottle
- extra snack (a banana is a good one)
- extra safety pins
- anti-chaffing cream
- Race confirmation print off
- Pin your racing bib to your outfit (or add it to the “dump bag”)
- Pack your “car bag” for recuperating after the race. This is especially important if you have a long ride home because you traveled to the race!:
- hand-held roller like The Stick or Tiger Tail
- compression socks
- water bottle
- more water additive – this one can be a drink with calories and hydration additives (sodium & potassium)
- easy on the stomach snacks
- flip flops/sandals
- a change of clothes if it’s an extra hot or extra cold race
- baby wipes
Items to do the morning of a race
- Change into racing outfit – make sure bib is attached or in your “dump bag” with safety pins.
- Wake up early enough to eat something and drink a full glass of water.
Items to do right before you the leave the house to go to your race
- Make sure you have directions to the drop off or parking area.
- Double check your dump bag and car bag and add any missing items.
Do you have a race you want to train for this summer? Tis the season to prepare for that new PR!
Head Coach + Owner